Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 22, 2011

One Year

       The next week will mark the one year  anniversary of when I officially completed my tattooing apprenticeship with Jake in Oakland and I can't help but look back with a sense of overwhelming gratitude for all the people and experiences that has made 2011 a rich and memorable time. These are just a few of the highlights that will remain treasured memories as I move into this new year.


       Leaving my friends and the crews at Industrial Tattoo and Five and Dime Tattoo to move down to San Diego had a very bittersweet feeling to it, especially since I had been calling the Bay Area my home for the past six years, but my new family at Masters have more than made me feel welcomed into my new home. After completing my BFA and tattoo apprenticeship, I felt I had finished everything I started up in Northern California and I was more than ready for a fresh start and change of scenery. I am eternally appreciative of everyone who made opportunities for me and gave me my start. Todd, Lysa, Frank, Pato, Jake, Perk, Gil... 


       Ink and Iron in Long Beach was awesome this year! I got to hang out with friends, old and new, and even had time to get tattooed by Hata (Inkrat), whose work I have been following since even before I was even legally allowed get tattooed. 


       I had two decks out from TNS Industries, run by Tahiti Gil who I have the honor of calling my boss and friend. Please check out www.tnsindustries.com for an amazing roster of tattoo artists who have contributed artwork for skate decks throughout the years including Derek Noble, Phil Kyle, Joe Capobianco, Hata and Rei of Inkrat, Kore Flatmo, Hiro, Fip Buchanan, Craig Driscoll, Rob Benevides, Jackie Dunn-Smith and many many others. 


       This was very much the year of group art shows here in San Diego and I was very fortunate to be invited to participate an many of them. The summer kicked off with a huge art auction benefitting the Tsunami victims in Japan with contributions from much of the North American tattoo community. I was lucky enough to snag me a few original works from Derek Noble and Jim Sylvia as well as a Dave Gibson pencil sketch. There was the Star War themed "Electric Tattooine" show that I contributed poster art for, Flying Panther's Fart Show and of course, the annual Dia de los Muertos art show, also put on by F/P. I look forward to many more projects this coming year. 


       One of my goals for 2012 is to travel more and do more guest spots and conventions. I had a blast with all the shops I guested at this year; Tahiti Felix's Master Tattoo (now my home shop), the historic Picture Machine in SF (it was great working with my mentor again) and the incomparable Gastown Tattoo Parlour in Vancouver, BC (I hope to go back again next year). 


       This years Paradise Tattoo Gathering was also a rejuvenating experience. A weekend of invaluable seminars, seeing my good buddy Jason and hanging out with some of my long time tattoo heros was incredible. To cap it all off, I got seated next to Greg "Craola" Simpkins on my flight home and found him to be one of the most genuinely friendly and positive people I have ever encountered. True PMA. 


         A special thank you to my parents for always backing me up 100%, Jake Diamond for not giving up in me, Cian and James over at www.swallowsndaggers.net for the internet presence, Henry Gae for being a good friend and inspiration, everyone who has pushed me to produce better work my, everyone I've ever had the pleasure to work with or for, everyone who has ever trusted me to tattoo them and last but certainly not least, the love of my life, Ryan, without whose six years of love and eternal understanding I would not be the man I am today. I love you all and all the best wishes for 2012!
-PHY

No comments:

Post a Comment