Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Full Steam Ahead

       Since the Gathering, it seems I have been working non-stop so I have fallen behind on the blog. amongst other projects. My apologies.
       I contributed artwork for a benefit show for the Ronnie James Dio Foundation earlier this month. It was all 1980's metal themed work an I chose Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" as my starting point. As of late, I have been looking at a lot of images from the early 1900's and Art Nouveau movement. I wanted to use some elements of that as a point of reference but not necessarily directly emulate the style. I was fairly pleased with results (posted below). I also finished my half of a painting trade with my good friend, Henry Gae, from Full Circle tattoo (also below). I am trying to diversify my material use beyond strictly ink and traditional watercolor by adding acrylics, gouache and chinese watercolor into my work. I am currently working on a new body of work that departs even a bit further from my usual style.
       Just returned back to work in San Diego from my home away from home in the Bay. I guested briefly on wednesday and thursday at the world famous Picture Machine in SF. It was fantastic to work once again with my mentor, Jake Diamond and do some awesome tattoos on friends and clients. On friday, I got my back piece worked on by Luke Stewart at Seventh Son then rushed off to check out this year's offerings at the SFO Convention. This is one of my favorite conventions and it did not disappoint with a large roster of world class tattooers. It was lovely to see many familiar faces as well as meet many new ones. Woke up early on saturday to attend Horitomo's seminar on back piece design and pick up his new book, Immovable. Afterwards, I picked up some schwag and said my goodbyes to San Francisco. 

"Eye of the Tiger"


 "Rumors"

A fun interpretation of a couple of zodiac on a marine before I headed off to SF.

Nudie boot on the lovely Libby Vela and Chinese lion dancer head of Picture Machine shop girl Gena. Thank you both, ladies! 

Until next time, 
-PHY






       

No comments:

Post a Comment